Posted: Feb 14, 2020
MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Mustangs fell behind by a tally in the second, but scored three in the third period to take the Women's Hockey League (NEWHL) victory over the Cortland Red Dragons, 3-1.
- Final Score: Morrisville 3, Cortland 1 (by period: Morrisville 0-0-3, Cortland 0-1-0)
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville (12-10-1, 9-6-1 NEWHL), Cortland (13-8-2, 6-8-2 NEWHL)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Vying for a NEWHL playoff spot, the Mustangs and the Red Dragons went toe to toe throughout the first period of play.
- Cortland broke the scoreless deadlock at the 4:43 mark in the second period in a frame where the Red Dragons outshot the Mustangs 10-5.
- However, the tide turned towards the Mustangs at the 4:35 mark when Tessa Dobson (Moose Factory, Ont.) tied up the contest at 1-1 off of an assist from Madison Lawson (Fort Worth, Tex.).
- As the period wore on, Morrisville and Cortland continued to trade shots looking for the game winner.
- Kylie Cameron (Burlington, Ont.) would provide that game winner for the Mustangs at the 17:23 mark in the third period. Maddison Devlin (Campbell River, B.C.) and Mackenzie Lombardi (Hamilton, Ont.) collected the assists.
- Thirty five seconds later, the Red Dragons pulled their goal tender in an effort to tie the score back up. However, after a Cortland shot was saved by Morrisville's Lacey Friesen (Marquette, Man.), she alertly found Lombardi for the empty netter at the 19:34 mark in the third to cap off the comeback.
- Friesen recorded 31 saves to record her seventh win between the pipes.
- Morrisville will wrap up their regular season NEWHL slate on Friday and Saturday against the Cardinals from Plattsburgh State. Puck drop is scheduled for 4 PM on Friday, while Saturday's start time is set for 2 PM.