Canton, NY – Alexa Parigi posted two goals and an assist including the game-winning goal 56 seconds into overtime and Meaghan Best added a goal and pair of helpers as the SUNY Canton women's hockey team earned a 4-3 overtime victory v. SUNY Potsdam on Wednesday evening in Northeast Women's Hockey League (NEWHL) action.
- Result: SUNY Canton 4 SUNY Potsdam 3, OT
- Location: Roos House – Canton, NY
- Records: SUNY Canton (5-15-1, 2-13-1 NEWHL) SUNY Potsdam (10-11-2, 7-8-2 NEWHL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bears got on the board first tallying a power play goal on Natalie Wasielewski's eighth goal of the season at 17:25 of the opening period. Wasielewski and Delphine Leonard executed a give-and-go with Wasielewski burying a shot high from the right circle. Miranda Kolb also earned a helper on the play.
- SUNY Potsdam doubled its lead just 23 seconds into the second period when Shelbi Thacker used an aggressive forecheck in the Roos defensive zone and put home her own rebound for the 2-0 lead.
- Canton got on the board at the 6:53 mark of the second with the skater advantage. Breanna Bedborough redirected a Parigi shot out in front that was initially saved by Kayla McCabe but the puck deflected right to Best below the right circle as she put home a one-time slap shot.
- The Roos evened the score at two with just 46 seconds left in the period on Sarah Kosnaskie's team-leading ninth tally of the season. Best won the puck at the far boards in front of the Canton bench and found Micayla Macintyre at the right point. She swung the puck to Kosnaskie at the high slot where she beat a pair of Bears defenders and wristed a shot high glove side past McCabe.
- Potsdam regained the lead 1:28 into the third period on a scrum out in front. Wasielewski had multiple shot attempts saved by Sirena Alvarez but Lucy Condon put home a second rebound. Kolb also picked up an assist on the play.
- Canton continued to battle knotting the score once again on a Parigi power play goal at 16:15 of the third. Macintyre swung the puck from the point to Best near the far boards. Best hit Parigi with an on-point pass in the slot as she wristed a shot past the glove side of McCabe.
- With a delayed penalty called on Potsdam Alvarez skated to the bench and five seconds later Canton scored with the extra attacker. Verity Lewis' shot from the right circle was initially saved but Parigi put home the rebound at the left post for the win.
- Alvarez made 30 saves in the victory, while McCabe turned aside 30 shots in the loss for the Bears.
- Canton was a perfect 2-for-2 on the power play, while Potsdam was 1-for-5.
The Roos return to the ice on Friday when they host Anna Maria College at 4 p.m.