OSWEGO, N.Y. – The Oswego State women's ice hockey team defeated a 15-win Nazareth Golden Flyers squad by a score of 3-2 this afternoon. Avery Webster had the game-winning goal in the third period.
- Final Score: Oswego 3 | Nazareth 2
- Location: Oswego, N.Y. – Marano Campus Center
- Records: Oswego 12-6-4 | Nazareth 15-3-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nazareth opened the game with a goal just 1:09 into the first period. The goal was scored by Abbey Luth, her 13th goal of the year.
- The goal was assisted by Gabriella DeMeo and Hailey Redders.
- The first period was very even, statistically speaking, shots were 9-8 in favor of the Golden Flyers, faceoffs were 12-10 in favor of the Lakers and each goalie had eight saves.
- Oswego took over in the second period, scoring at the 3:27 mark of the second period.
- The goal was scored by Megan Teachout (11) on the power play, it was unassisted.
- The Lakers scored another with 1:33 remaining in the second to take the lead when Morgan Shines forced a turnover on a great forecheck and swung a pass to fellow freshman Kyleigh Grugin.
- Grugin began circling out front and snapped a shot inside the far post for her fourth goal of the season.
- Oswego State outshot the Golden Flyers by a margin of 11-5, bringing the total shots to 20-16 after the second period.
- Avery Webster added to the Lakers lead at the 10:38 mark of the third to put Oswego on top 3-1, the goal was assisted by Maura McKeown.
- With their goalie pulled the Golden Flyers created pressure as they scored with 27 seconds left. The goal was scored by Maria Di Cresce and assisted by Luth (2).
- Oswego held on in the final seconds to secure the win.
- Mia Conboy led the team in faceoffs, going 11-3 in the game.
- Rachael Farmer finished the game with 22 saves as she posts her 13th game this season with 20 or more saves.
- The Lakers were led by Amber Thomas in blocks (4), followed by Bailey Thomas (3). They beat their season-high in blocks with 14 as a team.
- Oswego won the faceoff battle 32-22.
The Lakers will take to the road Friday, February 14 for a SUNYAC matchup against the Buffalo State Bengals.