Canton, NY – Kayla Lauzon made 26 saves in her season debut and Sarah Kosnaskie scored the game-winner 1 minute, 37 seconds into overtime as the SUNY Canton women's hockey team earned a 2-1 win v. Buffalo State on Saturday.
- Result: SUNY Canton 2 Buffalo State 1, OT
- Location: Roos House – Canton, NY
- Records: SUNY Canton (4-14-1, 1-12-1 NEWHL) | Buffalo State (5-16-0, 3-11-0 NEWHL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team was able to find the back of the net in the opening period as Lauzon stopped all 11 shots she faced.
- Verity Lewis opened the scoring at 1:53 of the second period. As she was slipping on the ice near the right circle Lewis fired a shot toward net as it beat Bengal goaltender Bri Gawronski. The score was Lewis' third of the season.
- Natasha Steinle tied the game at one apiece at 15:09 of the second on the power play. Kiara Haynes and Jessica Carter picked up helpers on the play.
- SUNY Canton outshot Buffalo State 10-7 in the third period but both goalies continued to play strong as the teams skated to overtime.
- Kosnaskie proved to be the hero for the Roos 97 seconds into the extra session. Micayla Macintyre left the puck for Kosnaskie at the point as she and Ashley Gillies executed a give-and-go on the right side. Kosnaskie made a beautiful individual move and beat Gawronski far post for the game-winner.
- Lauzon made 26 saves on 27 shots (.962 save percentage) in her first collegiate win in her first collegiate start. Gawronski made 22 stops for the Bengals.
The Roos return to the ice on Sunday when they visit Morrisville State at 1 p.m.