BUFFALO, N.Y - Buffalo State overcame a 3-1 deficit in the third period and Tristin Stetson (Anchorage, AK/West) netted the overtime winner to lift the Bengals to a 4-3 victory over visiting SUNY Canton today in NEWHL action.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 4, SUNY Canton – 3 (OT)
LOCATION: Ice Arena - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (4-15/2-10), SUNY Canton (3-14-1/0-12-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lila Toczek (Pendleton, NY/Starpoint) led the Bengals with a goal and two assists. Stetson had a goal and an assist, while Natasha Steinle (Morrison, CO/CIHA) and Cheyenne Matson (Wasilla, AK/Matsu Career & Tech) also scored.
- Toczek opened the scoring with an unassisted shorthanded tally for her fifth goal of the season midway the first period.
- Canton responded with a power-play goal just over two minutes later to even the score.
- After being outshot 13-4 in the first period, Buffalo State outshot the Kangaroos 14-6 in the middle frame, but it was Canton that scored twice. The Roos took the lead just 38 seconds into the period and added a power-play marker later in the frame.
- Steinle tallied a shorthanded goal just 50 seconds into the third with an assist from Toczek.
- Matson netted the game-tying goal on the power player with 9:26 remaining in regulation, setting up Stetson's overtime game winner just 1:03 into the extra period.
- Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk, NY/Mt. Mercy) finished with 27 saves as the Bengals outshot Canton, 36-30.
- Buffalo State was 1 for 7 on the power play, while Canton was 2 for 7, but the Bengals netted two shorthanded goals.
FOR THE FOES
- Sarah Kosnaskie led Canton with two goals, and Meaghan Best had a goal and two assists.
Buffalo State will travel to Potsdam next Friday for a 7 p.m. start.