Posted: Jan 31, 2020
OSWEGO, N.Y. – The Mustangs continued to pick up points in late season Northeast Women's Hockey League (NEWHL) play by shutting out the Oswego State Lakers 2-0 on the road on Friday night.
- Final Score: Morrisville 2, Oswego St. 0 (by period: Morrisville 1-1-0, Oswego St. 0-0-0)
- Location: Oswego, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville (10-9-1, 7-5-1 NEWHL), Oswego St. (9-6-3, 6-4-3 NEWHL)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Mustangs and Lakers nearly matched each other shot for shot in the first period as the visitors tallied 9, while the home squad tallied 10.
- Morrisville turned things up a notch in the second period, especially on the power play.
- Maddison Devlin (Campbell River, B.C.) continued to add to her scoring total this season with a power play tally at the 7:35 mark in the second to give the Mustangs a 1-0 advantage. Alexziz Giannamore (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and Chyne Kennedy (Southwold, Ont.) picked up the assists.
- The Mustangs would have two more power play opportunities in the second, but the Lakers locked down their penalty kill defense, holding the Mustangs to just one shot on goal in each power play.
- Oswego State put the pressure back on the Mustangs in the third, but Devlin's second goal of the game at the 14:34 mark gave Morrisville the cushion needed to close out the victory.
- Lacey Friesen (Marquette, Man.) recorded her fifth win of the season and second shutout, recording 26 saves, 13 of which came in the third period.
- The Mustangs will return to Oswego State on Wednesday night for a 7 PM puck drop to close out their NEWHL season series.