Canton, NY – Ashley Gillies and Verity Lewis scored goals but a pair of second period tallies helped the University of New England women's hockey team earn a 4-2 win v. the Roos in non-league action on Saturday afternoon.
- Result: University of New England 4, SUNY Canton 2
- Location: Roos House – Canton, NY
- Records: University of New England (9-2-1) | SUNY Canton (3-9-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Canton wasted no time seizing momentum as they lit the lamp just 58 seconds into the contest. Jordan Emerson dumped the puck into the Roos offensive zone and Alyssa Hein chased the puck down in the near corner. She played a pass off the end boards to herself and fed a pass to Ashley Gillies at the far post. Gillies initial shot was saved by Nor'easter net minder Julia Benjamin but Gillies jammed home the rebound for the early lead.
- UNE evened the game at 1-1 at 16:41 of the opening period with the skater advantage. Bella Crugnale fed the puck to Elizabeth Walsh at the right point. Her initial shot was saved by Roo goaltender Brooke Susac but Meghan Hamilton put home the rebound at the far post. Shots were even at eight apiece in the opening period as the team skated to a 1-1 tie at first intermission.
- The Nor'easters took their first lead of the game at 7:17 of the second period. Avery Lutrzykowski swung the puck to Carly Perreault at the right point. She played the puck toward the slot as it redirected off a Canton defenseman stick to Jessie Scott at the far post as she put home her seventh of the season.
- The visitors scored again just 28 seconds later as McKenna Remillard hit Katie Babineau with a breakout pass at the blue line as she skated in alone and put a shot past the glove of Susac.
- Canton outshot UNE 19-4 in the second period but it was the Nor'easters who netted a pair of scores to lead 3-1 after two.
- The Roos got one back at 4:26 of the third period. Lily Cullen won a defensive zone draw forward to Verity Lewis as she poked the puck past a UNE skater to go 2-on-1 into the zone. Lewis wristed a shot over the right pad of Benjamin just inside the left post.
- The Nor'easters added an insurance marker at 9:43 of the period as Crugnale skated in with a 2-on-1 and finished her fifth goal of the season.
- Susac made 23 saves for the Roos, while Benjamin turned aside 32 shots in the win.
The Roos return to Northeast Women's Hockey League (NEWHL) action on Friday when they visit Plattsburgh State at 3 p.m.