Canton, NY – Hannah Desrochers tallied her first two collegiate goals to tie the game at 3-3 late in the second period but visiting Franklin Pierce University used three unanswered scores to earn a 6-3 win on Friday afternoon.
The win by the NCAA Division II Ravens who are eligible for the NCAA D-I Tournament, snaps the Roos three game win streak.
- Result: Franklin Pierce 6, SUNY Canton 3
- Location: Roos House – Canton, NY
- Records: Franklin Pierce (13-6-0) | SUNY Canton (3-8-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Ravens opened the scoring at 2:16 of the opening period. Reece Diener won a faceoff at the right circle back to Bridgette Prentiss at the point. She wristed the puck toward net where it deflected off a Roos defenseman and back to Diener at the right post who finished into the net.
- Canton responded just 36 seconds later as Verity Lewis hit Sarah Kosnaskie with a breakout pass through the neutral zone. Kosnaskie found Natasha Simioni to her right with a perfect pass in the slot as she buried her second goal in as many games.
- Franklin Pierce regained the lead at the 10:51 mark when Delaney Guimont collected the puck in her defensive zone and skated it through the neutral zone. Shortly after crossing the blue line, she left a pass for Becca Kniss to her right who beat Roo goaltender Sirena Alvarez glove side.
- The Ravens extended the lead to 3-1 just over five minutes later. Prentiss blocked an attempted dump in by the Roos and collected the puck at mid-ice. Nicole Amato touched the puck on as Prentiss beat Alvarez across the face of goal. The visitors took a 3-1 lead after one.
- Canton got within one at 12:04 of the second as Desrochers made a beautiful individual play skating in and taking a slap shot top shelf just over the helmet of Raven goalie Jessica Strack.
- With just more than three minutes to play in the middle period Simioni and Kosnaskie skated in on a 2-on-1. Simioni waited until the perfect moment dropping a pass to Kosnaskie on her left but the sophomore was just unable to get her stick on it into the open left side of net.
- The Roos continued to impose their will offensively as it paid off a minute later. Ashley Gillies fed the puck from the low near boards to Caeley Smith outside the left dot. She found Desrochers in the low slot who put a one-timer past Strack.
- Franklin Pierce regained the one goal advantage just 18 seconds later as Katelyn Brightbill picked off a failed Canton clearance. She played a pass to Ava Kison on her right who delivered a shot into the open net for the lead.
- The Ravens added an insurance goal as Kison won the puck behind her own net to Marissa Massaro. Massaro played a quick pass out in front to Brightbill who beat Brooke Susac high glove side.
- FPU added a late goal when Haley Parker hit the post but Bridget Fagan put home the rebound. Bethany Ross also earned a helper on the play.
- Alvarez made five saves in the start, while Susac turned aside 13 shots in relief. Strack made 24 stops for the Ravens.
The Roos are back in action on Saturday when they host the University of New England at 3 p.m.