CORTLAND, N.Y. – Morrisville picked up its inaugural Northeast Women's Hockey League win on Wednesday night, outlasting the SUNY Cortland Red Dragons 3-2.
- Final Score: Morrisville 3, Cortland 2 (by period: Morrisville 1-2-0, Cortland 0-2-0)
- Location: Cortland, N.Y.
- Records: Morrisville (2-2-1, 1-1-1 NEWHL), Cortland (4-1-0, 0-1-0 NEWHL)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Morrisville capitalized on a late first period penalty on the Red Dragons, taking a 1-0 lead with two seconds remaining. After a Cortland clear, the Mustangs reset in front of their own net, working the puck up the ice. Alexziz Giannamore (Pittsburgh, Pa.) crossed the neutral zone and handed the puck off to Maddison Devlin (Campbell River, B.C.) in a give and go move. Giannamore then cut through the middle and found the back of the net. Kylie Cameron (Burlington, Ont.) picked up the assist with Devlin.
- Cortland came back to even the score at the 12:09 mark in the second, but Tessa Dobson (Moose Factory, Ont.) changed all that 32 seconds later, putting the Mustangs up 2-1.
- The Red Dragons rallied back once again just under three minutes later to knot the score up once again.
- However, the Mustangs executed another late period power play opportunity with Taylor Finnie (Kamloops, B.C.) picking up the goal with seven seconds remaining in the second period.
- Up 3-2 in the third, the Mustangs kept pushing for the insurance goal, while the Red Dragons looked for the equalizer.
- Cortland made one last push with 51 seconds remaining in the contest in favor of the extra skater. Morrisville's net minder, Sissy Harman (Eden, N.Y.) was up to the task however, denying four attempts in the closing minute to secure the 3-2 NEWHL win for the Mustangs.
- Harman picked up her second win in net, collecting 31 saves.
- Morrisville continues its NEWHL schedule on Saturday with a 5 PM puck drop at Buffalo State.
CORTLAND, N.Y. – The Morrisville St. women's ice hockey team scored late power-play goals in the first and second periods and held on for a 3-2 victory over Cortland Wednesday night in NEWHL action at Alumni Arena. The Red Dragons suffered their first loss of the season, dropping to 4-1 overall and in the conference. The Mustangs evened their records at 2-2-1 and 1-1-1.
Freshmen Dany Donegan (Cicero/Syracuse Nationals) and Martha Dzieniszewska (Old Bridge, NJ/New Jersey Colonials) each scored goals for Cortland. Senior Emily King (Buffalo/Buffalo Regals) and freshmen Elena Eichmann (Fairport/Syracuse Nationals) and Molly McCabe (Webster/Webster Thomas H.S. Boys) collected one assist apiece. Junior goalie Chelsea Allain (Malta/Canterbury School) made 23 saves.
Junior Alexziz Giannamore (Pittsburgh, PA/HTI Stars) led Morrisville with a goal and an assist. Seniors Tessa Dobson (Moose Factory, ON/SUNY Canton) and Taylor Finnie (Kamloops, BC/Pacific Steelers) also added goals, while seniors Kylie Cameron (Burlington, ON/North Halton Twisters) and Maddison Devlin (Campbell River, BC/Pacific Steelers) each picked up an assist. Freshman goalie Adriana Harman (Eden/Buffalo Bisons) stopped 31 shots.
Giannamore gave the Mustangs a 1-0 lead with her power-play goal just three seconds before the end of the first period. Donegan tied the game at 12:09 of the second period with her fourth goal of the season, but Dobson made it a 2-1 score 32 seconds later. Dzieniszewska netted her first career goal on a rebound at 15:27 to pull Cortland even at 2-2. Finnie, however, tallied the game winner on the power play at 19:53 of the second.
Late in the third period, Cortland pulled Allain for an extra skater and pressured the Mustangs, getting shots from McCabe, Eichmann and senior Allyson Edwards (Buffalo/Buffalo Regals) that were all denied by Harman in the closing 30 seconds.
Morrisville St. 3, Cortland 2
Score by periods:
Morrisville St. 1-2-0 3
Cortland 0-2-0 2
Scoring Summary (Goals-Assists):
Morrisville St.: Alexziz Giannamore 1-1, Tessa Dobson 1-0, Taylor Finnie 1-0, Maddison Devlin 0-1, Kylie Cameron 0-1
Cortland: Dany Donegan 1-0, Martha Dzieniszewska 1-0, Elena Eichmann 0-1, Emily King 0-1, Molly McCabe 0-1
Saves: Adriana Harman (Morrisville St.) 31 saves (2 GA in 60:00); Chelsea Allain (Cortland) 23 saves (3 GA in 59:10))
Shots on goal: Cortland 33 (9-12-12), Morrisville St. 26 (7-9-10)
Penalties: Cortland 3-6:00, Morrisville St. 1-2:00
Power Play: Morrisville St. 2-3, Cortland 0-1
Records after game: Cortland (Red Dragons) 4-1, 4-1 NEWHL, Morrisville St. (Mustangs) 2-2-1, 1-1-1 NEWHL