GENEVA, N.Y.— Buffalo State played a strong road contest and Natasha Steinle (Morrison, CO/CIHA) scored twice, but the Bengals fell short by a 4-3 margin in a non-conference game today at William Smith.
FINAL SCORE: William Smith - 4, Buffalo State - 3
LOCATION: The Cooler – Geneva, N.Y.
RECORDS: William Smith (16-6-1), Buffalo State (6-14-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emma Ruggiero (Amherst, NY/Sacred Heart) had a goal and an assist for the Bengals, and Lila Toczek (Pendleton, NY/Starpoint) had a pair of assists.
- William Smith outshot Buffalo State 39-35 as Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk, NY/Mt. Mercy) made 35 saves.
- Steinle opened the scoring with a power-play goal midway through the first period with assists from Cheyenne Matson (Wasilla, AK/Matsu Career & Tech) and Toczek.
- The Herons pulled even with a power-play goal of their own in the final minute of the first period and then took the lead three minutes into the second frame.
- Buffalo State knotted the score at 2-2 before the second intermission with an unassisted power-play goal by Ruggiero for her 13th of the season.
- William Smith broke the tie with four minutes remaining in regulation and scored again just 10 seconds later.
- Buffalo State pulled to within one with its third power-play goal of the game with 2:18 left to play off the stick of Steinle for her third of the season, but could not net the equalizer.
- Buffalo State was 3 for 5 on the power play, and William Smith was 1 for 4.
FOR THE FOES
- Gina Scibetta scored twice for the Herons, and Julia Mings and Stephanie Hampton also scored.
Buffalo State will return to NEWHL play when it hosts nationally-ranked Plattsburgh on Friday at 4 p.m.