GENEVA, N.Y.— Lila Toczek (Pendleton, NY/Starpoint) scored twice, but it was not enough as Buffalo State dropped a 6-4 non-conference decision this evening at William Smith.
FINAL SCORE: William Smith - 6, Buffalo State - 4
LOCATION: The Cooler – Geneva, N.Y.
RECORDS: William Smith (15-6-1), Buffalo State (6-13-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emma Ruggiero (Amherst, NY/Sacred Heart) added a goal and an assist for the Bengals, and Lauren Madden (Jamestown, NY/Jamestown) also scored.
- The Herons jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, but Buffalo State responded to even the score before the first intermission.
- Toczek put the Bengals on the board with her 12th of the season on the power play, and then Ruggiero netted her 12th of the season to knot the score.
- Buffalo State pulled ahead just three minutes into the second from with Madden's third goal of her rookie campaign.
- William Smith struck back just 18 seconds later and scored two more goals to take a 5-3 advantage into the final frame.
- Toczek pulled the Bengals back within one with a shorthanded goal 2:43 into the second period, but the Herons added an insurance marker in the middle of the period to seal the victory.
- William Smith finished with a 41-35 advantage in shots on goal. Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk, NY/Mt. Mercy) made 35 saves.
- Buffalo State finished 1 for 9 on the power play, and the Herons were 1 for 4.
FOR THE FOES
- Marykate Martino scored twice for William Smith, and Egan Sachs-Hecht, Laura Rollins, Gina Scibetta, and Jules Kennedy also scored.
Buffalo State will play at William Smith again tomorrow at 4 p.m.