OSWEGO, N.Y. — Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk, NY/Mt. Mercy) made 43 saves to backstop Buffalo State to a 3-1 victory at Oswego today to move the Bengals into a tie for the final NEWHL playoff position with four games remaining in the regular season.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 3, Oswego - 1
LOCATION: Marano Campus Center Arena – Oswego, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (6-11-2/3-8-1), Oswego (8-7-3/3-6-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cheyenne Matson (Wasilla, AK/Matsu Career & Tech), Lila Toczek (Pendleton, NY/Starpoint) and Gianna Brigante (Mahopac, NY/Mahopac) all scored for the Bengals, and Megan Reukauf (Depew, NY/Lancaster) had a pair of assists.
- Matson's third goal of the season on the power play 6:49 into the game gave the Bengals a lead they would never relinquish.
- Toczek extended the lead just 39 seconds into the second period with her 11th goal of the year.
- Oswego cut the deficit in half with a power-play marker early in the final frame, but Brigante delivered the dagger with less than three minutes remaining when she tallied her second of the season.
- Gawronski did the rest to secure the victory, despite the Bengals being outshot 44-25.
- Buffalo State finished 1 for 5 on the power play, while Oswego was 1 for 7.
FOR THE FOES
- Jean-Marie Padden scored the lone goal for Oswego.
- Rachael Farmer made 22 saves in the loss.
Buffalo State will conclude the season series against Lakers tomorrow in Oswego at 3 p.m.