SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - Hamilton tallied three power-play goals and handed Buffalo State a 7-2 defeat in the first action of the New Year today at the Delta Hotels Burlington Classic hosted by St. Michael's College.
FINAL SCORE: Hamilton – 7, Buffalo State - 2
LOCATION: Cairns Arena – South Burlington, Vt.
RECORDS: Hamilton (7-3), Buffalo State (4-6-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Continentals opened the scoring with a pair of power-play goals in the first period before Natasha Steinle (Morrison, CO/CIHA) netted her first goal in her first game of the season returning from injury to put Buffalo State on the board.
- Hamilton netted its third power-play goal midway through the second period and pushed the lead to 4-1 before the second intermission.
- Emma Ruggiero (Amherst, NY/Sacred Heart) scored her team-leading 10th goal of the season with an assist from Steinle early in the final stanza to cut the deficit to two, but Hamilton scored three more in the third to close out the scoring.
- The Continentals outshot Buffalo State, 38-17, and finished 3 of 7 with the extra attacker.
- The Bengals also had success on the power play with a pair of goals on just three opportunities.
- Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk, NY/Mt. Mercy) made 31 saves in the loss.
FOR THE FOES
- Nancy Loh led Hamilton with two goals and three assists, and Kate Piacenza had a goal and two assists.
- Gabrielle Venne finished with 15 saves.
Buffalo State will conclude the classic tomorrow against host St. Michael's at 4 p.m.