BUFFALO, N.Y.—Franklin Pierce used a four-goal second-period to pull away from host Buffalo State and held on for a 5-2 victory today at the Ice Arena.
FINAL SCORE: Franklin Pierce – 5, Buffalo State – 2
LOCATION: Ice Arena - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Franklin Pierce (8-6-0), Buffalo State (3-5-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Ravens led 1-0 after a tightly-contested first period, but blew the game open with four goals in the middle frame, outshooting the Bengals 18-4 in the period.
- Lila Toczek (Pendleton, NY/Starpoint) put Buffalo State on the scoreboard just 34 seconds into the final frame with a power-play marker with assists from Olivia Smith (Tonawanda, NY/Kenmore West) and Emma Ruggiero (Amherst, NY/Sacred Heart).
- Cheyenne Matson (Wasilla, AK/Matsu Career & Tech) added another power-play tally just six minutes later firing a low slap shot off the post and in off a faceoff win by Kira Herkey (Cheektowaga/Cheektowaga).
- Buffalo State outshot Franklin Pierce 13-5 in the final frame but could not pull any closer.
- The Ravens finished with a 31-24 edge in shots.
- Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk, NY/Mt. Mercy) made 26 saves in the loss.
- Buffalo State finished 2 for 8 on the power play, while the Ravens were 1 for 5.
FOR THE FOES
- Ann Margaret DiSciscio led the Ravens with two goals and an assist, and Nicole Amato and Haley Parker had a goal and an assist apiece.
Buffalo State and Franklin Pierce will clash again tomorrow at 2 p.m.