CANTON, N.Y. — Emma Ruggiero (Amherst, NY/Sacred Heart) tallied a goal and an assist while Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk, NY/Mt. Mercy) stopped all 25 shots she faced as Buffalo State bounced Canton, 3-0, in this afternoon's non-conference season opener.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 3, SUNY Canton - 0
LOCATION: Roos House - Canton, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (1-0), Canton (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lila Toczek (Pendleton, NY/Starpoint) and Gianna Brigante (Mahopac, NY/Mahopac) each also netted their first goals of the season.
- Olivia Smith (Tonawanda, NY/Kenmore West) chipped in an assist.
- Buffalo State jumped out to a quick lead as Toczek capitalized on her second shot in the first four minutes of action, pushing the puck past the goalie off an assist from Ruggiero.
- After being outshot 10-5 in the first period, the Bengals responded with a 12-5 shots advantage in the second period and were rewarded as Brigante extended Buffalo State's lead with a shorthanded marker off an assist from Smith with only 2:15 left in the period.
- The Bengals sealed the win with an unassisted tally from Ruggiero in the third period.
- The Kangaroos outshot Buffalo State 25-22 in the contest and finished with a 32-24 faceoff advantage
FOR THE FOES
- Brooke Susac finished with 19 saves in the loss for Canton
- The victory marks the first win in women's hockey for interim head coach Jim Fowler.
Buffalo State will look to sweep its opening weekend for the first time since the 2015-16 season as face SUNY Canton again tomorrow at 2 p.m.