WILKES-BARRE, Pa. – The Oswego State women's ice hockey defeated King's College handily in its first regular season contest on Saturday evening. Eryn Stewart recorded her first career hat trick, while five other Lakers collected goals.
Results: Oswego 10, King's 1
Location: Revolution Ice Centre – Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
Records: Oswego (1-0) | King's (1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Annika Neufeld-Kreider got the scoring going, as she notched her first-career goal, assisted by Madison Byrne and Stewart 7:50 into the first period.
- Philomena Teggart was the second Laker to strike, as Leah Czerwinski tallied the lone assist at 9:10, helping the Lakers to a 2-0 advantage.
- The third Oswego goal was notched by freshman Avery Webster, for the first of her collegiate career. Webster's goal was helped by classmate Sara Cruise at 9:14.
- The Monarchs recorded its only goal of the night with four minutes remaining in the period.
- King's' excitement was short lived as Stewart found the back of the net for her first tally of the evening. Cruise earned her second assist of the night on Stewart's goal.
- The Stonewall, Man. native began the second period scoring at 1:17, as M. Byrne and Czerwinski tallied their second assists of the contest.
- Cruise tallied her first collegiate goal on a Laker power play, as Stewart and Teggart picked up assists.
- Six minutes into the final period Webster tallied her second goal of the game as she received helpers from Katelynn Ferguson and Aislinn McAleer.
- Stewart's hat trick was complete as she recorded a goal halfway through the final period, assisted by Webster and Teggart.
- Skylar Byrne tallied her first-collegiate goal with Webster tallying yet another assist, helping the Lakers extend their lead to 9-1 with five minutes remaining.
- Captain Kate Randazzo added to the Laker goal count as she was collected a short-handed goal, helped by M. Byrne with two minutes remaining in the contest.
The Lakers remain in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. as they face-off against Wilkes University at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday.