BUFFALO, N.Y. — Canton scored in the closing minute of regulation to salvage a 2-2 tie against visiting Buffalo State today in a non-conference contest at the Roos House.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 2, SUNY Canton - 2
LOCATION: Roos House - Canton, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (1-0-1), SUNY Canton (0-1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first period, Emma Ruggiero (Amherst, NY/Sacred Heart) put Buffalo State on the scoreboard with her second goal in as many days just 2:17 into the second stanza. Courtney Cavarello (N. Tonawanda, NY/Sweet Home) assisted on the goal.
- The Bengals held the narrow edge entering the third period, but Canton finally scored its first goal in more than five periods against Buffalo State to even the score less then three minutes into the frame.
- Buffalo State answered less than six minutes later, reclaiming the lead on Lila Toczek's (Pendleton, NY/Starpoint) second goal of the season with assists from Lauren Madden (Jamestown, NY/Jamestown) and Kira Herkey (Cheektowaga/Cheektowaga).
- The Bengals carried the lead into the final minute, but with the goalie pulled for an extra attacker, the Roos netted the equalizer with just 25 seconds remaining.
- Neither team could breakthrough in overtime.
- Canton finished with a 41-24 advantage in shots on goal. Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk, NY/Mt. Mercy) was strong in goal for the Bengals, finishing with 39 saves.
FOR THE FOES
- Jessica Pele scored both goals for Canton.
Buffalo State will open NEWHL play next weekend with a return trip to the North Country to visit Potsdam for a two-game set on Friday and Saturday.